6 reasons to switch to a less processed way of eating.
The more we learn about nutrition, the more it seems we should eat the way people did a hundred years ago. Recent research appears to be pointing us in the direction of eating mostly “whole foods” – that is, foods that are as close to their natural form as possible.
This could mean eating:
- Whole grains instead of refined grains whenever possible.
- Fruits, vegetables, and beans instead of supplements to provide the fiber and vitamins they contain.
- A skinless chicken breast cooked with healthful ingredients instead of chicken nuggets processed with added fats, flavorings, and preservatives.
- A baked potato with chopped green onions and light sour cream instead of a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips.
- Fresh berries with breakfast instead of raspberry toaster pastries or breakfast bars.
- A blueberry smoothie made with blueberries, yogurt, and a frozen banana instead of a blue-colored slushy or icee.